Become a Park Rooter!
Who are Friends of Gainesville Parks and Greenways?
Friends of Gainesville Parks & Greenways, Inc. is a non-profit organization. Our mission is to serve as a cultural, educational, and recreational resource to develop, beautify, maintain, restore and preserve passive and active leisure pursuits in Gainesville, Hall County.
How You Can Help
Make a Donation
No amount is too small. Make your tax deductible donation in your name or that of a loved one, colleague or friend. Your support is needed and appreciated. All donations are tax-deductible. Checks should be made payable to: Friends of Gainesville Parks & Greenways, Inc. and mailed to: 830 Green Street, Gainesville, GA 30501.
- Friends of the Parks was formed in response to citizen concerns for the need to restore Ivey Terrace Park.
- In 1996, a public-private partnership was created between the City of Gainesville, Gainesville Parks & Recreation, and the 501-C3, Friends of Gainesville Parks, Inc.
- Friends of the Parks is funded through private donations and grants.
- Friends of the Parks is under the direction of a 25-member Board of Directors.
- In 2002, the organization changed its name to Friends of Gainesville Parks and Greenways, Inc.
- Friends of the Parks hosts the annual Sunday in the Parks Butterfly Release.
- Focuses on:
- Restore the Rock Creek Greenway Corridor, including streambank restoration, erosion control, landscape beautification, and the construction of multi-use trails.
- Acquire land for parks and greenways to develop greenway network in partnership with the City of Gainesville.
- Maintain and beautify parks and greenways.
- Increase connectivity and greenspace awareness through educational programs.
- Creation of the Rock Creek Park or “Gateway Park” dedicated in 2001
- Land acquisition along the linear corridor
- Master Plan development for the Rock Creek Greenway
- Stormwater management and streambank stabilization
- Restoration of Ivey Terrace Phase I, II and III
- Annual Butterfly Release
- Sidewalk Initiative (In partnership with the City of Gainesville Sidewalk Master Plan)