How do I apply for service?

If you have never had water service with us before, the application is available here on our website or you may have an application faxed or mailed to you to by calling Customer Service, Monday through Friday, from 8AM to 5 PM at 770-535-6878 .You may also apply for service in person from 8 AM to 4:30 PM at the Department of Water Resouces Administration building, located at 757 Queen City Parkway. All applicable fees and deposits must be paid prior to service connection. Be sure to include a copy of a valid, legal ID and a copy of your business license (commercial accounts only) when submitting the completed application.

How do I transfer service?

You must currently have a water account with us in your name OR previously had service with us in your name in the past to complete this form.  A $15.00 Turn on fee & $10.00 turn off fee will be applicable.  All past due balances must be paid in full before transfer can be done.

You may complete and submit the online Transfer Service form .


When will my water be turned on?

Water connection is a next day service, with the exception of Friday and the day before a city observed holiday in which same-day service is provided for applications completed by 3PM.

Is there a connection/disconnection fee?

Yes. There is a $15.00 turn on fee which you will see on your first bill and a $10.00 turn off  fee which will be on your final bill.

Do I have to pay a deposit?

A deposit is required before service is connected. It may be waived if the applicant has a good payment history with us (2 or fewer late payments in a 1 year period) or has an Equifax score above 700. The deposit can be waived only for residential accounts.

Can I get my deposit back?

Yes. There are two ways to get it back:

  1. After 24 months of good payment history (no more than 2 penalties in a 24 month period), a customer’s deposit may be applied to their account.
  2. When an account is closed, the deposit will be applied to the final bill and any remaining balance will be refunded to the customer

What are the current water and sewer rates?

2017 Rates and Fees


How do I close my account?

You can close your account in one of the following ways:


When can the water be turned off?

 Water disconnection is a next-day service and is available Monday through
 Thursday. We do not disconnect service on Fridays, holidays, or the day
 before a city observed holiday.

How many days do I have to pay my bill before I receive a late fee?

Your bill is due 20 days from the date of the bill. If payment is not received by the due date a late fee of 10%  of the total bill will be added to the account.

Can my billing cycle be changed to coincide with the day I get paid?

Unfortunately, this is not an option. Each account is assigned a billing cycle based upon location and is billed by cycle.


What is the Account Service Fee on my bill?

The account service fee is a charge added to each account monthly to cover the cost of servicing an account, including: reading the meter, performing meter maintenance and billing/crediting the account.

What forms of payments do you accept?

  • Cash, check, cashier’s check, money order and Visa/MasterCard/Discover are accepted in person
  • Visa, MasterCard, and Discover are accepted over the phone
  • Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and check are accepted through our website


Can I make a payment over the telephone?

Yes. You can make a payment by calling Customer Service at 770-535-6878. You can speak with a representative or use our automated system.

Is there a fee for making my payment by credit card?


Can I make an online payment?

Yes. Go to www.gainesville.org click on Payments and Water Bill and sign up. This will enable you to: view your payment and usage history; make payments on your water account; and set your account up on recurring payments using your checking account or credit card.


Can I view my account online?

Yes. You may log onto www.gainesville.org and select Pay My Bill. Once you have set up an account, you can view your account history and make payments.


Can I have a copy of my account history?

Yes, if you can verify the 4-digit security code on your account or the last 4 digits of your social security number.


Where do I send my payment?

Bills can be mailed to:
PO Box 779
Gainesville, GA 30503

Who do I make the check payable to?

Make checks payable to: CITY OF GAINESVILLE


What are your office hours?

We are open Monday through Friday from 8AM to 5PM. Our drive - thru and phone lines are also open from 8AM – 5PM.

My payment is past due. Can I leave it in the drop box?

Payment of past due amounts must be received by the date indicated on your utility bill to avoid disconnection.

If my service is disconnected for nonpayment, why do I have to pay an extra deposit if I already have one?

Each time an account is disconnected for nonpayment, an extra deposit is required until the deposit total has reached the maximum amount, depending on the meter size. The deposit is used to cover any balance left on a customer’s account and is set by our Code of Ordinances.

What is a CCF?

A CCF stands for one hundred cubic feet

How many gallons are in a CCF?

CCF = 100 cubic foot and 1CCF = 748 gallons

How can I locate my meter?

The water meter is typically located in the front yard of the property, near the street. There may be a blue mark/arrow painted on the pavement near the meter. Please call customer service at 770-535-6878 with questions and/or concerns regarding your meter. Do not attempt to resolve a meter issue on your own as it may cause damage to the device. Only authorized City of Gainesville personnel are permitted to enter the meter box (Gainesville Municipal Code § 3-5-16).

Why is my bill high?

There are many causes of a high(er) water bill. There may be more days included in the billing period than in previous months; consumption may have increased due to outdoor watering or an increase in the home’s number of occupants; or there may be a leak.

How can I alter/change the name on my account?

If you need to change the last name on an account due to marriage or divorce, you must submit a copy of marriage certificate or divorce decree and a photo ID. An application maybe required so please call our office at 770-535-6878 for your particular situation.

Do you offer landlord agreements?

Yes. The landlord agreement prevents service interruption. Water service will automatically roll into the landlord’s name when a tenant requests that their  service be disconnected.

Who do I contact if I want to purchase a new water meter?

Please call Meter Sales at 770-533-5841.

Who do I contact for information on backflows?

Please call Backflow Prevention/Inspection at 770-297-5443.

What are the current outdoor watering restrictions?

Click Here

Who do I contact if I have questions about the Oakwood Debt Service on my water bill?

For questions regarding anything other than billing questions, please call the City of Oakwood at 770-534-2365.

Who do I contact if I have questions about the Braselton Rates on my water bill?

These charges are based on 100% of monthly water meter readings. For questions regarding anything other than billing questions, please call The Town of Braselton at 706-654-3915.


Does Gainesville have the same problems with lead as Flint Michigan?

Please Click Here to see additional information.

Water Leaks & Water Quality Concerns:


What can I do if I think I have a leak?

Leaking toilets are a common cause of leaks. To check for a leak in your toilet, place food coloring or leak tablets into the back of the toilet (pour it into the tank, not into the bowl).  Do not flush.  If color appears in the bowl within 30 minutes, you may have a leak. (Once you flush color will enter the bowl).  You may also pick up leak tablets in our lobby (757 Queen City Parkway) or call customer service at 770-535-6878 to have some mailed to you. 
If you suspect that you may have a leak and are unable to locate it or repair it yourself, please contact a plumber.
Click HERE for step-by-step instructions for locating leaks.

Who is responsible for the repairs if I have a leak?

Residents are responsible for all leaks from the meter to the home and inside of the home.

Who do I contact if there is water gushing from my meter box or running down the street?

Please contact our water and sewer repairs shop at 770-535-6881.

Who do I contact if I have a sewer backup?

Please contact our water and sewer repairs shop at 770-535-6881.

Who can I contact for water quality questions or concerns?

You may contact Environmental Services at 770-532-7462.

Who can I contact for questions regarding hardness of water?

You may contact Environmental Services at 770-532-7462.

What can I do if I think my meter was misread?

You may contact customer service at 770-535-6878.

Fire Hydrant Meters:

How do I rent a fire hydrant meter?

You must fill out a fire hydrant meter application and pay a deposit. Once completed and paid, you will take your receipt and the original application to the Bradford Street Facility at 1006 Bradford Street to pick up the fire hydrant meter.

Fire Hydrant Meter Application

Is there a deposit required to rent a fire hydrant meter?

Yes. Deposit amounts are dependent upon meter size. If the meter is a ¾”, the deposit required is $300.00. If the meter is a 3”, it is $1,270.00. Payment for the deposit can be made with cash, Visa/MasterCard/Discover, or a cashier’s check (business checks are not accepted).

Where do I return the fire hydrant meter?

The fire hydrant meter must to be returned to our Bradford Street Facility. If the account is more than 60 days delinquent, the customer must return the meter immediately. Failure to do so will result in “theft by taking” charges.

What happens if the fire hydrant meter is lost or stolen?

A lost or stolen fire hydrant meter will result in forfeiture of deposit. If the meter was stolen, we will require a copy of the police report of theft.

How will you know how much consumption to bill me?

Fire hydrant meter customers must bring the meter to the Bradford Facility every month between the 1st and 5th for a meter reading. Failure to do so will result in a $150.00 late fee.

Trash Removal:

For information on trash removal, please see Solid Waste webpage.