Community Outreach: What We Do?
The Gainesville-Hall County Community Service Center (CSC) is committed to the overall wellness of our community. By wellness, we mean the physical, mental and spiritual health of our family, friends and neighbors. Of course, as a government agency, we cannot possibly achieve this alone nor would we ever try.
In fact, key to the success of the Community Service Center is our ability to collaborate with business, nonprofit organizations and other local, state and federal government agencies to create positive change. We are stronger and better when we work together.
The project list for the Community Outreach Division varies from year to year depending on the needs of the community. Here are some examples:
- For several years, the Community Outreach team partnered with the IRS and other agencies to provide a VITA site where volunteers provided free tax returns for low- and moderate income families.
- Every year, the team coordinates the Mayor’s Motorcade in concert with the Georgia Municipal Association to get much needed gifts into the hands of consumers receiving services at AVITA Community Partners.
- Every ten years the team encourages residents to complete the Census survey.
- Our staff also comes together in times of emergency such as when Hurricane Katrina hit the southeast. When hundreds of people descended upon Gainesville-Hall County after having lost their homes and livelihood, the CSC played an intricate role to reach out and aid our neighbors in their time of need.
- Most recently, the team has worked with other community leaders on various initiatives to remove the stigma and improve resources for people with mental health concerns.
Staff of the Community Service Center are encouraged to participate on various committees, task forces and to join the local nonprofit boards. The more engaged we are with existing programs and services, the better able we are to engage and serve our community. To date, our staff has collaborated with over 150 organizations. Here are a just a few …
AVITA Community Partners
Boys and Girls Clubs of Lanier
Community Council on Aging
Division of Aging Services
Family Connections Network
Gainesville Housing Authority
Georgia Department of Community Affairs
Georgia Department of Human Services
Georgia Department of Transportation
Georgia Mountain Community Foundation
Georgia Mountain RDC
Georgia Mountains Food Bank
Georgia Transit Association
Greater Hall Chamber of Commerce
Habitat for Humanity
Lanier Technical College
Newtown Florist Club
Northeast Georgia Health System
University of North Georgia