Council approves 2020 budget
- Adopted the budget for fiscal year 2020, which begins July 1, 2019. A public hearing was held on June 4. Budget information is available to public at https://www.gainesville.org/financial-services/budget/ or at the Financial Services office, 300 Henry Ward Way.
- Adopted the following ad valorem tax rates on property:
- City of Gainesville General Government: $1.322 on each $1,000 of taxable property. This is a 3-percent decrease over the previous year. Of the 1.322 millage rate, 0.771 mills will be used for General Government purposes and 0.551 will be used for debt retirement.
- Gainesville Fire Department: $1.250 on each $1,000 of taxable property.
- Gainesville Parks and Recreation: $0.750 on each $1,000 of taxable property.
- Gainesville Board of Education: $6.614 on each $1,000 of taxable property. (The Gainesville Board of Education establishes its own budget and tax rate. The City of Gainesville collects property taxes for the Board of Education; therefore, the Gainesville City Council must adopt the millage rate.)
- Approved an agreement with Hall County Government to process the city's single-stream recycling starting August 1. The Hall County Board of Commissioners will consider the agreement at its next meeting. The city is currently taking recycling to Athens. Switching to Hall County will save the city time and resources. More information.
- Following a public hearing, adopted long-term and short-term plans for expenditure of federal grant funding for community development and housing needs. More information.
- Approved an annual update to the Capital Improvement Element for Public Safety and Parks and Recreation, which includes the city's impact fee program. More information.
- Appointed the Mayor's nominees to the following volunteer boards and committees:
- Gainesville Convention and Visitors Bureau Authority - Richard Labriola (reappointment), Tharpe Ward (reappointment), Jeff Pruitt
- Gainesville-Hall '96 Board (Lake Lanier Olympic Park Foundation) - Councilwoman Ruth Bruner (reappointment), Regina Dyer (reappointment)
- Historic Preservation Commission - Richard Bachman (reappointment), Cathy Day (reappointment)
- Main Street Gainesville Advisory Board - Carol Slaughter (reappointment), Claude Tatro Jr.
- Gainesville-Hall Metropolitan Planning Organization - Belinda Lipscomb (reappointment)
- SPLOST VII Citizens Review Committee - Mark Bell (reappointment), Etherean Williams (reappointment), Frank Norton Jr. (reappointment)