November 14, 2021
The Northeast Georgia History Center
322 Academy Street NE
Gainesville, GA 30501
Free Family Day: The Great War
Sunday, November 14, 2021
Learn what life was like for those fighting in and living through World War I at the Northeast Georgia History Center
The Great War, also known as World War I was an international conflict that began on July 28, 1914 and lasted until November 11, 1918. It was a war unlike anyone had seen before. Modern advances, new military technologies, and the horrors of trench warfare led people to believe that this was the "war to end all wars." It also caused massive political and social upheaval. No one was untouched by the Great War. Come learn what life was like for those fighting in and living through this event at the Northeast Georgia History Center on Sunday, November 14th from 1-5pm.
Ongoing Activities 1-5 PM
- Meet Soldier from the Great War: Talk to Living Historians and learn about what everyday life was for soldiers on many sides of the conflict.
- The Homefront of the Great War: Learn about Victory Gardens and rationing through an onsite cooking demonstration.
- Dances From the Turn of the Century: Come learn the Foxtrot (originated 1914) and the Peabody (originated 1915) from Kat Nagar of Atlanta Historic Dance.
- Pop Up Exhibit of Original Artifacts from WWI
- View Film from the Great War: This was the first war in which video was available to document the conditions of the battlefields and soldiers. You can view a carefully curated selection of film from the conflict at our family day.
- Time Travel Booth: Try on clothing that would have been in style during the great war and then hop in our time travel booth to have your photo made.
- Planes of the Great War Craft
- Coloring Pages From the Great War
Made possible by the Ada Mae Ivester Education Center.
The Northeast Georgia History Center is dedicated to preserving and sharing our regional history and being our community’s pathway to history education. Through our educational programs, community events, exhibits, and historic structures, we strive to be a leading resource for promoting a greater understanding of local, state, and national history. Visit negahc.org to learn more.
The Northeast Georgia History Center produces events throughout the year both online and on-site. Our Family Days and public livestreams are free for all. Become a Member to enjoy weekly Members-Only livestreams, free admission to our exhibits, Members-Only events, and more.