Step 5 of the Building Permit Process
The inspection process follows receipt of the building permit. During this phase, each and every required phase of construction must be reviewed in a timely manner by the inspector to make certain the work conforms to the applicable Code, the Building Permit, and the approved plans.
When do I need an inspection?
An inspection is required at various stages of the construction process. Here is a general example for a new residential construction project:
The first inspection would probably be a temporary power pole followed by a footer inspection before any concrete is poured. If there is a slab involved, any plumbing and/or electric installed under that slab would also need inspecting before concrete is poured. Next is the damp proofing of the foundation walls before backfilling, which requires a letter from the water proofing company. The next inspection would be the rough-in inspection, which includes the framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and gas systems before any insulation or drywall is installed. This inspection also includes fireplaces. Near project completion, a Gainesville Energy Compliance Certificate will be completed to be submitted at the final inspection. Lastly comes the final inspection where framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, house numbering, landscaping and soil erosion measures are to be completed. We will issue a Certificate of Occupancy when approvals from all departments have been received.
What to do when I'm ready for an inspection
If your permit was issued on or after 6/20/2022, please click here for instructions on how to schedule an inspection using the Accela Citizen Access Portal via computer or see the related documents below for instructions in English or Spanish for scheduling an inspection via a mobile device.
If your permit was issued before 6/20/2022, call the inspection request line at 770-503-3163 and follow the prompts. The information you need when you call in the inspection includes the complete master permit number including letters (ex. RES2022-01234), address of the property to be inspected, and the three-digit inspection code which can be found on the Inspection Request brochure. Be careful to listen to all the prompts before making your selection.
Automated inspection request line instructions (Only for permits issued before 6/20/2022)
- Select permit option: COM press 1; RES press 2; MIS press 3; SGN press 4; and CMB press 5.
- Enter the 9-digit permit number as directed. Example - COM2004-01234 would be entered as “200401234”. The permit number and address will be verified.
- Select one of the following:
- Select the type of inspection you are requesting from the prompts given. Be sure to listen to all the prompts before making your selection.
- Once you have selected the inspection type, you will be asked to enter the 3-digit inspection code from Tables 1-1 thru 1-5.
- Inspections Request - English (PDF)
- Inspections Request - Spanish (PDF)
- Inspections Request for Permits Issued after 6/20/2022 - Mobile, English (PDF)
- Inspections Request for Permits Issued after 6/20/2022 - Mobile, Spanish (PDF)
- Policies and Procedures - English (PDF)
- Policies and Procedures - Spanish (PDF)