Technology Strategic Plan
Information technology (IT) is a vital part of a vibrant city government. IT, when utilized appropriately, enables enhanced services to the community, increases efficiency of operations, delivers useful information and supports innovation. The Gainesville Department of Information Technology (DoIT) leverages technology to drive key actions that fundamentally enhance the way the City connects to information.
So what are DoIT's priorities?
Provide seamless customer service
A seamless customer experience is achieved when a customer interacts with both internal and external city service providers without experiencing service interruptions during the service delivery process.
- Use technology to provide a consistent customer experience, based on standardized service processes applied to all forms of customer interaction.
- Enhance gainesville.org as a single “front door” for residents and businesses by offering web-based government services wherever possible.
- Adopt and expand the concept of technology service catalogs and hardware/software services that assist internal and external customers with finding technical solutions to business problems.
Enhance information security and privacy
In today’s business environment, information security and privacy form the foundation of technology projects. The City should create a comprehensive program to protect data and technology infrastructures, secure systems and assets, mitigate threats and provide a mechanism for business continuity in emergencies.
- Establish the organizational framework to develop and implement a comprehensive security and privacy program.
- Educate employees and residents about the importance of information security and about safeguards to protect confidential data.
- Collaborate with City teams to ensure a unified security and privacy framework.
- Investigate strategies to better insulate the City’s technology infrastructure from threats to information security and privacy by adopting and implementing industry-standard continuity of operations concepts.
Increase operational efficiency through constant innovation
Constant product and service innovation nurtures ideas and focuses on customer satisfaction, combines process and technology to enhance productivity and value, drives down operational costs and supports other City strategies.
- Support and drive innovations that leverage technology and business solutions citywide.
- Focus on organization-wide applications, using right-sourcing and managed services where appropriate.
- Partner with City departments to conserve and redeploy resources while providing services supporting multiple City lines of business.
- Encourage development and use of computer-based business analysis processes and tools to more efficiently manage business data as well as help identify trends and innovations that impact customer service delivery.