Step 5 of the Building Permit Process
The inspection process follows receipt of the building permit. During this phase, each and every required phase of construction must be reviewed in a timely manner by the inspector to make certain the work conforms to the applicable Code, the Building Permit, and the approved plans.
When do I need an inspection?
An inspection is required at various stages of the construction process. Here is a general example for a new residential construction project:
The first inspection would probably be a temporary power pole followed by a footer inspection before any concrete is poured. If there is a slab involved, any plumbing and/or electric installed under that slab would also need inspecting before concrete is poured. Next is the damp proofing of the foundation walls before backfilling, which requires a letter from the water proofing company. The next inspection would be the rough-in inspection, which includes the framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and gas systems before any insulation or drywall is installed. This inspection also includes fireplaces. Near project completion, a Gainesville Energy Compliance Certificate will be completed to be submitted at the final inspection. Lastly comes the final inspection where framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, house numbering, landscaping and soil erosion measures are to be completed. We will issue a Certificate of Occupancy when approvals from all departments have been received.
What to do when I'm ready for an inspection
Call the inspection request line at 770-503-3163 and follow the prompts. The information you need when you call in the inspection includes the complete master permit number including letters (ex. RES2022-01234), address of the property to be inspected, and the three-digit inspection code which can be found on the Inspection Request brochure, found in the Related Documents tab at the bottom of this page. Be careful to listen to all the prompts before making your selection.
Automated inspection request line instructions
- Call in on the automated inspection request line at 770-503-3163.
- Select permit option: COM press 1; RES press 2; MIS press 3; SGN press 4; and CMB press 5.
- Enter the 9-digit permit number as directed. Example - COM2004-01234 would be entered as “200401234”. The permit number and address will be verified.
- Select one of the following:
- To schedule an inspection, press 1
- To cancel an inspection, press 2
- To get results of an inspection, press 3 (after 5:00 P.M.)
- Select the type of inspection you are requesting from the prompts given. Be sure to listen to all the prompts before making your selection.
- Once you have selected the inspection type, you will be asked to enter the 3-digit inspection code from Tables 1-1 thru 1-5.
- After you have entered the 3-digit code, the system will read back to you the inspection requested as well as the date of the inspection. It will then ask you to verify if correct. When it is verified it is then scheduled. If there are fees due, a stop work order issued or open inspections, the request will not be issued and you will need to call the inspections office at 770-531-6570 to release any holds.