Call for Artists
CALL FOR CROSSWALK CONCEPTS
MIDLAND GREENWAY TRAIL CROSSING
434 HIGH STREET, GAINESVILLE, GA
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTAL
MONDAY, MAY 1 2023
As part of its efforts to bring public art to public spaces, Gainesville Parks and Recreation (Gainesville, GA) is issuing a call for bold and creative crosswalk concepts along the Midland Greenway.
- Crosswalks will not be painted by designer/artist. Selected crosswalk designs will be produced and installed by GEVEKO MARKINGS, an international company with offices in Gainesville. This procedure is being used to achieve longevity for the artwork.
- Artist must be willing to redesign or simplify concept for production purposes.
- Artist will be recognized with signage next to crosswalk.
- Styles that reproduce best but are not limited to: Organic silhouette, Minimalistic, Art Deco, Modern
Selected Artist/Artist Team will be awarded $1,000.
Applicants must be 14 years of age or older.
Crosswalk Design Site: 434 High Street at NoFo Brewery Trail Crossing
Suggested Themes to Consider: Adventure, Hiking, People Using Trail, Silhouettes, Incorporating a crosswalk into the design
- Designs must reproduce to scale: 24ft w x 9.9ft h
- Designs must use one or more of the following colors: White, Black, Red, Blue, Yellow, Orange, Green, Bike lane green (a Lawn Green color), Grey, Light Blue, Pink, Purple, Turquoise Mint, Gold, Brick Red
- Multiple designs may be submitted.
- Artist must be willing to redesign or simply concept or work with 3rd party installer to achieve optimal results for fabrication and installation.
- Deigns must be submitted in file formats ai, eps, png, svg, jpg, pdf.
- Artwork cannot contain trademark images, logos, or be in any way thematically linked to a commercial business, establishment, product, or service. Religious and political themes or symbolism will be declined. Designs that depict violence or contain obscenities will be rejected.
The Midland Greenway is the heart of a revitalization of a once industrial area. Major housing developments, restaurants, and music venues are being developed in the area. Plans to convert the area to the Midland Arts District are in place. The Midland Greenway (formerly known as the Midtown Greenway) is a vital component to connecting the Highlands to Islands Trail System to downtown Gainesville and Lake Lanier.
CROSSWALK SITE: 434 HIGH STREET, GAINESVILLE, GA 30501
PROPOSAL SELECTION CRITERIA
A selection panel comprised of City of Gainesville staff will review and evaluate the applications based on criteria that may include but is not limited to the following:
- Thematic Content
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR DESIGN(S)
Proposals may be submitted online only.
Entries are due no later than Monday, May 1, 2023 by midnight (EST).
SELECTED ARTIST/TEAM TO PROVIDE
- 3-5 sentence artist bio; High-resolution image of yourself (300+ dpi, 9.5” x 9.5”).
- Completed W-9.
- Gainesville Parks and Recreation will have the right use the artwork for marketing purposes on any platform and in any format to include memorabilia/souvenirs.
- Final selected artwork remains the property of the artist for use in reproductions for sale or otherwise.
All questions regarding this application should be submitted in writing to Julie Butler Colombini: mailto:[email protected]. All questions submitted and responses will be posted as FAQ’s.