Construction Projects and Road Closures
Downtown Gainesville continues to grow. The charm of the Historic Downtown Square, often called the "heartbeat of Gainesville", is a focal point of both public and private developments that continue to flourish as the City follows its Downtown Development Master Plan (PDF).
- Starting Monday, June 7, Bradford Street NW between Washington and West Academy streets will be closed to all thru traffic. Sidewalks will remain open for pedestrian traffic.
- West Academy Street between Green Street NE and Northside Drive/Main Street is closed to thru traffic from 7 p.m.-7 a.m. daily.
- Green Street SE between Washington and Spring streets is closed daily to thru traffic.
Current Downtown Development Projects
- Gainesville North Parking Deck – 400-plus additional parking spaces. Groundbreaking held April 2021; estimated completion, summer 2022
- Solis Gainesville – Groundbreaking held October 2020; estimated completion, April 2022
- Gainesville Renaissance – Groundbreaking held September 2020; estimated completion, February 2022
- Downtown Streetscape Improvements Project – Groundbreaking July 2020; estimated completion, November 2021
Recently Completed Downtown Projects
- NOW OPEN!Hall County Public Library, Downtown Gainesville Branch – Renovations completed September 2020
- NOW OPEN!Midtown Skate Park – completed July 2020
Downtown Get-Around, Free Shuttle Service
The service, exclusive to downtown, is the City’s latest effort to help restaurants and retailers on the square maintain their customer base while economic development projects unfold nearby. Known as the “Downtown Get-Around”, the eight-person club car services the area of the historic Gainesville square. The free service will be available from 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, rain or shine, making it more convenient for visitors to access downtown restaurants and retailers, plus City events. Visit the Downtown Get-Around page to learn more.