American Red Cross Lifeguard Water Park
Lifeguard certification class is a 29 hours undertaking. You must attend all days and times of whichever session you choose. Due to the nature of this class it cannot be taught using current social distancing guidelines - you have to touch each other to practice saves and other skills.
Check back for upcoming Lifeguard Classes.
- You must attend the full session.
- City/County resident fee: $150 ($40 is non-refundable if pre-test is failed)
- Non resident fee: $175 ($40 is non-refundable if pre-test is failed)
- Online registration not available.
- Location: Frances Meadows Aquatic and Community Center
- Maximum: 10
- Students must be at least 15 years old by the last day of the lifeguarding course
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
For more information, contact the Aquatics Manager or call 770-533-5852.