Message from the Director
We in the Public Works Department are dedicated to providing you with the quality of government service you expect and deserve. The various divisions within our department are responsible for streets, traffic engineering, civil engineering services, solid waste and recycling service, repair and maintenance of the City's fleet of vehicles, lands, and buildings and the management of the Lee Gilmer Memorial Airport and the Alta Vista Cemetery.
In cases of an emergency, such as downed trees or structures across roadways, please call 911.
Directors Office & Engineering
- Planning, design, project management and construction of public improvements funded by the City as well as Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) and development questions
- Operation of traffic signals for pedestrian and vehicular activity which includes traffic signal maintenance, new construction inspection, minor construction and improvements
Public Lands & Buildings
- Planning, coordination, renovation, and maintenance of all buildings owned by the City.
Alta Vista Cemetery
- Managing the sale of lots, record keeping, locating spaces, and grounds care of the two City owned cemeteries
- Preventive maintenance and repairs to City vehicles and equipment
- Disposal of dead animals, curbside refuse pickup, chipping of yard waste items, large bulky items called "white goods", and coordination of recycling services
- Repair and maintenance of streets, sidewalks, right-of-ways, and other related facilities located within the corporate limits
- 24-hour emergency response services during inclement weather, curbside leaf pickup (October to January),
- Sweeping of City streets
- Roadside litter control
Lee Gilmer Memorial Airport
- Maintaining, improving, and upgrading all airport facilities including both ground and navigational devices, hangar rental, and airport industrial park leasing programs