What Community Outreach Does
The Gainesville-Hall County Community Service Center (CSC) is committed to the overall wellness of our community. By wellness, we mean the physical, mental and spiritual health of our family, friends, and neighbors. Of course, as a government agency, we cannot possibly achieve this alone nor would we ever try.
Key to Success
In fact, the key to the success of the Community Service Center is our ability to collaborate with businesses, nonprofit organizations, and other local, state, and federal government agencies to create positive change. We are stronger and better when we work together.
The project list for the Community Outreach Division varies from year to year depending on the needs of the community. Some examples are:
- For several years, the Community Outreach team partnered with the IRS and other agencies to provide a VITA site where volunteers provided free tax returns for low- and moderate-income families.
- Every year, the team coordinates the Mayor's Motorcade in concert with the Georgia Municipal Association to get much-needed gifts into the hands of consumers receiving services at AVITA Community Partners.
- Every ten years the team encourages residents to complete the Census survey.
- Our staff also comes together in times of emergency such as when Hurricane Katrina hit the southeast. When hundreds of people descended upon Gainesville-Hall County after having lost their homes and livelihood, the CSC played an intricate role to reach out and aid our neighbors in their time of need.
- Most recently, the team has worked with other community leaders on various initiatives to remove the stigma and improve resources for people with mental health concerns.
The staff of the Community Service Center is encouraged to participate on various committees, task forces and to join the local nonprofit boards. The more engaged we are with existing programs and services, the better able we are to engage and serve our community. To date, our staff has collaborated with over 150 organizations. A few are:
- AVITA Community Partners
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Lanier
- Brenau University
- Community Council on Aging
- Division of Aging Services
- Family Connections Network
- Gainesville Housing Authority
- Georgia Department of Community Affairs
- Georgia Department of Human Services
- Georgia Department of Transportation
- Georgia Mountain Community Foundation
- Georgia Mountain RDC
- Georgia Mountains Food Bank
- Georgia Transit Association
- Greater Hall Chamber of Commerce
- Habitat for Humanity
- Jackson EMC
- Lanier Technical College
- Local Churches
- Newtown Florist Club
- Ninth District
- Northeast Georgia Health System
- Rape Response
- Salvation Army
- United Way
- University of North Georgia
- Wisdom Project
- Women's Source