What are the qualifications for Mayor or Council Member?
- Be a resident of the City of Gainesville for at least twelve months prior to the date of the election
- Be a resident of his/her ward for at least twelve months immediately prior to the date of the election
- Be registered and qualified to vote in the city election
- Be at least twenty-one years of age
Who is not eligible to serve as a Board of Education Member?
- A person who is not a resident of the school district in which he/she seeks election to represent
- A Board of Education Member who moves his/her domicile from the district he/she represents
- A person serving on the governing body of a private elementary or secondary educational institution
- A person employed by a local Board of Education
- A person employed by the Department of Education or serving as a member of the State Board of Education
- A person who has an immediate family member sitting on a local Board of Education or serving as the local school superintendent or as a principal, assistant principal, or system administrative staff in a local school system
- A person who is on the National Sex Offender Registry or the State Sexual Offender Registry
- A person who has not filed an affidavit with the Qualifying Officer affirming he/she meets the requirements pursuant to O.C.G.A. 20-2-51(e)
How are the qualifing fees set?
In accordance with the Georgia Election Code, the fee shall be calculated in January of each election year and published no later than February 1st. The calculation is 3% of the total gross salary paid in the preceeding calendar year for the office being sought. If the position is not a salaried office, a reasonable fee shall be set by the governing authority that shall not exceed $35 for a municipal office.
Where are the City of Gainesville (Municipal Election) voting precincts?
- Precinct 1 – Civic Center, 830 Green Street
- Precinct 2 – Fair Street Neighborhood Center, 715 Fair Street
- Precinct 3 - Georgia Mountains Center, 301 Main Street
- Early Voting - Hall County Elections Office, 2875 Browns Bridge Road
Where can I find information about my voting precinct?
- Check your Voter Registration Card
- Contact the Hall County Registrar's Office at 770-531-6945 (business hours 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM)
Where can I register to vote?
- Any public library
- Any location where you can obtain or renew drivers license
- Hall County Registrar's Office, 2285 Browns Bridge Road, Gainesville, Georgia
Other voter registration options can be obtained from the Hall County Registrar's Office. Please call 770-531-6945 for assistance.
Questions about City of Gainesville Municipal Elections should be submitted to City Clerk Denise Jordan via email to email@example.com.