* Established in 1876 as a "volunteer" fire dept under the name of

  "GAINESVILLE  HOOK & LADDER" with an initial start up cost of

   just $457.00

* In the late 1890's , was renamed as the Gainesville Fire Department

* Became an all paid career fire department in the early 1900's

* Fire Station # 1  was destroyed by the tornado of 1936

* After the tornado, the new Fire Station # 1 was rebuilt on

  Green Street at Jesse Jewell Parkway and is still standing to this day.

  The building now houses the human resources department,planning and zoning and

   building inspections for the City of Gainesville

 

.