Garbage and Recycling Changes Effective 1-1-11Effective January 1, 2011 the City of Gainesville Solid Waste Division will implement changes in the garbage and recycling service. The changes will include the following;
1) Location of garbage and recycling containersRecycling bins must be placed curbside.
Garbage cans must be located either (1) at curbside, or (2) at the end of the driveway (3) within 10 feet of the house visible from the primary driveway and not inside in-ground containers. The collection crews will not enter any residential structure to collect garbage. This includes any fenced area. Garbage cans must be set outside fences, garages, carports and other enclosed areas except containment areas that were designed only for the storage of garbage cans and are placed in the location listed above.
Containers must be ready for collection no later than 7:00am on your collection day.
2) Preparation and StorageHousehold garbage must be placed in suitable bags, securely tied at the top with no tears or leaks. The amount put into the bag must not exceed the bags’ capacity to be handled without ripping or tearing open. (Use more bags instead of over-filling)
These securely tied bags should be put into a clean, dry, sanitary can with a tight fitting lid. ANY BAGS LEFT OUTSIDE THE CONTAINER SUCH AS ON TOP OF THE LID OR ON THE GROUND OR IF THE LID IS HELD OPEN BY A BAG WILL SHOW THAT YOU HAVE EXCEEDED THE CANS’ CAPACITY AND THESE BAGS WILL NOT BE COLLECTED.
3) AmountThe maximum amount per pick up is 96 gallons. You can store that amount in one 96 gallon cart, two 48 gallon carts, or three 33 gallon carts. If your volume exceeds a combined total of 96 gallons per pick up we encourage you to recycle more or be prepared to pay an additional pick up fee.
4) RecyclingThe City of Gainesville will assume the responsibility for recycling services and will provide city customers who need one with a new recycling bin. The City will continue to collect single stream recycling as is currently being collected. If you need a recycling bin please call 770-532-0493.
5) FeesA $7.00 fee will be added to your water bill to help pay for twice-a-week backdoor garbage collection. A fee of $32.10 will appear as one fee on your bill. The amount was previously divided into three fees; recycling, landfill fee, and sanitation fee.